Monday, July 20, 2015

Welcome to Bizarro World

Here I sit in a pile of crumpled papers, upset that the text won't come together right.

Well, metaphorical crumpled papers, that is.  Everything is digital now.  And unwanted bits don't really crumple quite as nice.

I guess I could print out the rejects, then crumple them up and toss them all over the floor.  But that seems a waste.

Also, it dawned on me today that in the last month and a half I've somehow lost my sense of fear.

I understand how a person might call that a good thing.  Like how the Bible is big on, "Fear not.", "Fear not.", all over the place.  But I'm a little concerned because it also says, "The appetite of laborers works for them; their hunger drives them on." (Proverbs 16:26)

On the one hand I'm all chill, like Arthur Fonzerelli.  "Ayyyy."
And the other hand is slapping me across the face like, "Hey!  You're running out of money, fool!"

I think I could actually use a little more fear.
(Which is a big turnaround for me!  Welcome to Bizarro World, I guess.)

Finally, I got a new book about writing that I'm going to plow into as soon as I click "publish".

It's called "Writing the Breakout Novel", by Donald Maass.  Basic premise is the opposite of some of my blog posts where I said, "marketing is more important than writing".  Maass' premise is that it doesn't matter because books are purchased based mostly on word of mouth.  What you basically need is something amazing enough for people to talk about.




It makes sense, though I'm not willing to abandon my theory either.  We'll see where he goes with it and what goods I can pilfer from his book.


Live YOUR adventure!
-E.L. Fletcher

No comments :

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated, so have fun but don't be a punk.