Saturday, July 18, 2015

What's in a Name?

Time to mention something that I haven't yet done.  Time to talk about the pen name "Edmund Lloyd Fletcher" and what it means.

Well, it began as you might expect.  In a hole in the ground.

Oh no.  Wait.  That was The Hobbit.
(Which the kids are next to me watching right now.)

I have to admit that it started out as one of those games.  You know, take the third letter of your last name, add 3... etc.  Boom!  There's your pen name.

That got me started, but I tweaked the game a little here, a little there, came up with my own thing.

So, why land on this?

Let's start out with "Fletcher".  In case you're not familiar with your old-world trades, a fletcher is the person who makes arrows.  That all implies danger and adventure, which is direct a tie back to the genre I've chosen.  Also, having a lot of kids (for this culture), I like the slight connotation of Psalm 127 in there.

Now, "Edmund".   That goes back to one of the most well-known Christian fiction stories, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.  We hate Edmund.   Edmund is selfish one.  The betrayer.  ... The one Aslan died in the place of.

Get it? 

It's coming to that place where you still hate Edmund.  But you identify with him.

Finally, "Lloyd".  Lloyd is a very important addition.  Completely indispensable.  It means... something... deep and important... like...

Okay, I got nothing.

I wanted another name to distinguish myself from other Ed, Eddy, and Edmund Fletchers out there.  Not an unheard of name, after all.  And I liked the ring of Lloyd in there.

Plus the initials are E.L.F. now, which is fun.

So there you have it, folks.  My name.


Live YOUR adventure!
-E.L. Fletcher

No comments :

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated, so have fun but don't be a punk.