Saturday, August 29, 2015

Let Peace Fuel the Scurrifunge

DW today had an interesting conversation with another lady.  Details are private and unimportant to the topic, but main point is, she was weighted down to the point of exhaustion by all of the duties her religion required of her.

Quite sad.

But that begs a question, doesn't it?  Of course we've got all those rules that still apply - not coveting my neighbor's things and so on.  And more than that we're supposed to be proactive too, right?  Like feeding poor people and puppies and stuff.

On the one hand, when you encounter someone it's easy to think, "you've got issues". On the other hand, all of humanity shares a common enemy, therefore the same temptation "over there" in the other guys life usually has some sort of manifestation in our own.

And it does too.  Especially now, "Month of Kung Fu", schedule of doom, working like a crazy person.  Here's the confession:  It gets to me sometimes.

Yesterday, when driving home from a Bible study, windows down, and Madonna's Material Girl cranked on the radio (Back off, I'm confessing here!) it hit me.  Peace, though inactive in itself, is a catalyst!

But backing up, it all sounds a little like Mary and Martha, right?  Martha is busy doing everything and being the perfect hostess.  Meanwhile Mary says nuts to the dishes, I want to hang out with Jesus.

My gut reaction at this point is, "Yeah!  Get after that lazy girl, Jesus!".
And then he gets after... Martha!!!

The point of the incident is to not worry about going around doing stuff.  Stop and enjoy the presence of Jesus.

It only makes sense.  If what needs doing is all that important, the all powerful, miracle-working creator God could do it just fine without my help.

I mean, yeah, we have a purpose to fulfill for good in the world, but before even thinking about that, it all has to start with "the better thing" Jesus was talking about.

Getting the plan backwards is the fast track to an ulcer, but beginning from the right starting point, what stress is there?  I'm really fine whether I get everything on the checklist done or not.  I don't need to achieve anything to be with Jesus.  I started there.

Everything else is just gravy.

It works, too.  And the strange thing is... (well, maybe not so strange) ...what you do do actually works out better and more efficiently.

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." - Jesus
(Matthew 11:29-30)


Now comes the only hard part of the whole thing.
Remembering to do it!


Live YOUR adventure!
-E.L. Fletcher


No comments :

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated, so have fun but don't be a punk.