Saturday, August 1, 2015

Not Spiritually Fed

Here's something I've been chewing on since yesterday.
It could be kind of a touchy subject.
Plus I've spent less than 48 hours of idle pondering on the topic, so take that for what you will.

Or you can just hate me.  Whatever's convenient.

The thing I've been thinking about is Churches and the concept of, "feeding people" - spiritually.  It most often comes up in the context of, "I left that church because I wasn't being fed".

Which is, under the covers, a euphemism for, "I got in a fight with somebody so I'm taking my ball and going home."

But nomatter.  The point is, I wasn't being fed!  You've gotta be fed!  Like it's a deficiency with that church, not with me.

It sounds so spiritual, too.  But where do you even get that?

Because where I come from people who need to be fed are called "babies".
That's what Hebrews 5:12-14 says, too.
Open wide, here comes the airplane!
Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.......


But enough making fun of people.  What really hit me most was the Apostle Peter.  Three times in a row Jesus asked, "Do you love me?", and if so, "Feed my sheep."

This is usually taken to mean feeding those who are physically hungry.  Which is fair enough as far as it goes.  But what if He also meant "feed" in the other sense?  (Stands to reason since Jesus is instructing an Apostle and future Church leader, here.)
 
Like, maybe those that love Jesus aren't sitting around waiting for someone else to shove a spoon full of pureed green beans in their gob.  Rather, we are supposed to be the feeders, not the feedees.  Not to be served, but to serve.
How would that work, anyway?  "Yeah, I had to leave that church.  There was just nobody to feed.",
"I mean, everybody was completely spiritually mature and there was nothing left for me to do."


In some ways it goes back to that earlier thing I was on about.  You know, how big adventure means big having big troubles to face down?  Few things are as messy as getting involved in the personal lives of other sinners.  
And helping people grow?  Talk about becoming someone's hero!






Live YOUR adventure!
-E.L. Fletcher

No comments :

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated, so have fun but don't be a punk.