Friday, September 4, 2015

Sin Boldly!

Remember last time, all the bragging about saving money and running a tight ship?  Well... doesn't do a lot of good if you run right out and get a speeding ticket. :((

I average about one a decade.

What's interesting is my knee-jerk response.  "This wouldn't have happened if I never would have left the house."  Technically true, certainly ridiculous, but mostly it hits on something that I've been wanting to blog on for awhile.  So I will.  (I figure I've paid my dues for it, after all.)

Failure always eventually happens when you do stuff.
Truly, the only way to never fail is to never do anything at all.

Fear of failure is what causes people to never step out of their comfort zone.  People never do great things / follow their dreams / strive for something better, because they don't want to fail.

My short answer:  Not worth it!!!

Mike Rowe of the TV program "Dirty Jobs", says "Safety Third".  Which makes sense if you think about it.  If you really want "Safety First", stay at home in your hyperbaric bubble and don't ever do anything.  Working with tools and machinery and all the things he does always has an inherent amount of danger.

Even better, I like what Protestant reformer Martin Luther said.  "Sin boldly!"  (Wear that t-shirt to church sometime, I dare ya!)

Luther didn't want people to sin, Rowe doesn't want people to use a lathe without safety glasses, nor do I recommend exceeding the posted speed.  The thing is, don't let the fear of what could go wrong stop you from taking important action.

You know, fines only sting for a moment, Jesus is all about forgiving sin, and chicks dig scars.
Failure is about 10% as bad as our fear makes it out to be and about 10% as likely to happen as well.

The heroine in my book learns this lesson after getting ridiculously beaten in the boxing ring.  The thing is, instead of backing off, she keeps trying and eventually succeeds in the goal she seeks.
I think that's a lesson we all need to learn!



Live YOUR adventure!
-E.L. Fletcher


No comments :

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated, so have fun but don't be a punk.