Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Victim and the Hero

I don't know what you guys think of this Dave Ramsey.  In fact, my own opinions have changed a lot in regards to him, so I couldn't say anything bad about whatever your thoughts are.

Regardless, I really liked something that came bobbing down the social media irrigation ditch today.

As one might suspect, the video's title "The Victim and the Hero" really caught my eye.  If you've followed this blog for any length of time, you already know that "live your adventure" is a drum I like to beat, and it turns out Dave was playing my song.

Apparently from whatever broadcast this came from, he was speaking in the context of millionaires and a person's capacity to become wealthy.  I'm not talking about that.  I am, of course, more about living the adventure.  I guess my point in saying this is: try not to get too distracted by the "millionaire" thing.  Instead, grab some inspiration to take home in one of those funny little boxes the Chinese place gives you.

(Wait.  That was a lousy metaphor.  But you get the idea.)

In the interest of time, you could jump past the lead-in boilerplate to 5:16 or so.  That's when it starts to get good.

"I'm here to remind you:  You're not a victim.  You're a hero looking for a story.  You're gonna win.  Rocky music in the background... you're standing a the top of those steps with your hands in the air!"
-Dave Ramsey

I tell you what, after the type of day I had today, this packed quite a wollop!

And you know what's the worst part?  He's absolutely right!  That victim thing will really bring you down, man.  It's like "why can't this change", "if only I had this, or that going for me".

But I guess there was that one proverbial dude in the Bible (Ecclesiastes 11:4) .  Oh, it's too windy!  Oh, no!  Now it's too rainy!  ... well, it looks like it might rain, anyway.  Blah, blah, blah.  The point being, nothing's ever the perfectly perfect enough.  If a guy is looking for some excuse to complain about, he'll always find one.

That's more or less where I'm at.  I don't know if any of you guys may be in the same boat.

Now don't get me wrong.  I'd prefer if life would quit beating me up and things were going a little bit smoother around the homestead.

Still, we're not created to be a victim.  We're created to be "more than conquerors" (Romans chapter 8).  And that's something I think we all need to remember!


Live YOUR adventure!
-E.L. Fletcher

No comments :

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated, so have fun but don't be a punk.